ATTEND BWA FALL FESTIVAL and BOOK FAIR
October 28, 2017
Where: Northland Arboretum
Time: 9:30 to 3:30 p.m.
Registration begins at 9:00 a.m.
See details on how to register, below.
Minnesota Writers – CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
Submit your original work to the annual BWA writing contest.
See details on how to submit, below.
Book Fair Vendors
$5 for 1/3 of an 8-foot table space to sell your books.
Space is limited. Be sure to mention you’d like a spot when registering.
2017 BWA Fall Festival Speaker, Faith Sullivan
“Aiming for Excellence: A Little Better Every Day”
Faith Sullivan was born and raised in southern Minnesota. Married to drama critic Dan Sullivan, she lived twenty-some years in New York and Los Angeles, returning to Minnesota often to keep her roots planted in the prairie. She is the author of Good Night, Mr. Wodehouse (2015), Gardenias (2005), What a Woman Must Do (2002), The Empress of One (1997), The Cape Ann (1988), Mrs. Demming and The Mythical Beast (1986), Watchdog (1982) and Repent, Lanny Merkel (1981). A “demon gardener, flea marketer, and feeder of birds,” Sullivan lives in Minneapolis with her husband. They have three grown children. For more information, please visit her website. Photo credit: Leila_Navidi faithsullivan.com
Brainerd Writers Alliance 2017 Writing Contest
GUIDELINES and INFORMATION
This contest is open to all writers who are residents of Minnesota.
Fiction: 2500 word limit.
Tips: Stories need a strong hook to get the reader into the first scene; good development of character and scene interwoven with action; clear rising action to a turning point and resolution; consistent point of view; theme or story idea is clear by end.
Creative nonfiction: 2500 word limit.
- Memoir stories use fiction guidelines above but are based on actual events.
- Essay should concern an issue but still have a hook and be developed using examples, narrative, cause-effect, or comparison-contrast; rising action to a climax – arguments get stronger to the turning point; and come to a clear conclusion.
Poetry: 3 poem limit (each poem limited to maximum 40 lines).
- Poems need strong imagery that enhances the theme or emotion. Robert Frost said, “Poems should begin with delight and end with wisdom.”
FEE TO SUBMIT
$15.00 – entry in fiction or nonfiction categories.
$15.00 – one to three poems in the poetry category.
Contest is open to writers who are residents of Minnesota. Work must be submitter’s original, not previously awarded, and unpublished.
DEADLINE and NOTIFICATION
Entries due postmarked August 30, 2017 (no metered mail) or before; winners will be notified by Sept. 30th.
HOW TO SUBMIT
- Cover letter, separate from entry, to include
- Name and contact info (address, phone, email)
- List entry titles with category and word count. Example: “Olivia” – creative nonfiction – 2,455 words.
- $15 entry fee per entry check made out to BWA
- Two (2) typed copies of each entry
- All entries must be typed on standard 8 ½ x 11 paper
- Use 12 pt. Times New Roman font or similar, double-spaced / Poetry may be single- or double-spaced
- Fiction and creative nonfiction include – title, category, and word count on top of each page; double-spaced, DO NOT INCLUDE YOUR NAME.
- Poetry include – title at the top of the page, DO NOT INCLUDE YOUR NAME.
- Submit by August 30, 2017
- Postal mail entries to: BWA Writing Contest, 30755 Old Hwy 371, Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
Prizes are $75 for first place and $50 for second place and free entry to 2017 Fall Writers Festival. Winners will be notified after September 30, 2017 and are invited to read at the festival. Prizes will be awarded at the festival or by mail after the festival.
- Winning entries will not be put on our website or published in any way, so that they may be submitted later as “not previously published” in magazines, anthologies, etc.
- Our judges are skilled in the writing craft. We encourage them to attend the festival and give comments on the winning entries.
- All contest entrants are encouraged to attend the BWA Fall Writers Festival October 28th at the Northland Arboretum.
ATTEND BWA FALL WRITERS FESTIVAL
- A separate fee of $25 for the Festival includes a catered lunch.
- Reservations are due on or before Oct. 25th.
- To reserve your spot, send $25.00 check payable to BWA
- Postal Mail: 6584 Parkview Circle, Baxter, MN 56425
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, attn.: Bev, with your RSVP and pay at the door.
BOOK FAIR VENDORS: $5 for 1/3 of an 8-foot table space to sell your books. Space is limited. Be sure to mention you’d like a spot when registering.
Contact Contest Chair Bev Abear with questions at email@example.com
Check our website for updates on our Fall Writers Festival: www.brainerdwriters.com