Are you planning an early summer vacation?
Why not plan an artist community tour of your state or a neighboring state? Last February, my husband and I took a trip through Wisconsin, specifically to visit towns and cities that are known as destinations for artists and art lovers.
We kicked off in Madison, then visited in Mineral Point, and Cedarburg. Our purpose for the trip was two-fold. First, I was hungry to meet new artists and see work new to me. Secondly, we were looking for small towns or accessible cities where we might retire. We met wonderful people. There wasn’t a town or city that was crossed off our list. We may yet become Wisconsonites!
I talked about the courage of your convictions – sending your work out into the world. Since then I have received one rejection from a cold query and two requests from my pitch, to send a query letter and a portion of the manuscript for “Saving the Ghost.” How about you? Did you venture out into the world of critics?
Finding other artists.
- Select a region near to you or one you’d like to Make inquiries with the local Chamber of Commerce or art council (through online searches) to gather as much information as you can on artists and galleries in the places you plan to visit.
- Don’t be shy. When you enter a new space or community, talk to people, let them know why you’re visiting their area and what you’d like to see. The locals can offer even more details that can make you visit worthwhile.
- Look online for artist groups
- search hashtags on Twitter – whether for artists, galleries, writers, publishers, and agents – whatever your interest.
- Join Facebook groups specific to your interests
- Use other social media platforms, including Pinterest, Instagram, and Tumblr
- Find out if your state has an online arts organization and participate.
Have fun and good hunting!
If I’d only known then, what I know now, I’d…
Next week’s topic: Support other artists
See you back here next Sunday night!
Would you like to keep up with the Greyhairs Rising community? Sign up for the latest updates.
Join our Greyhairs Rising Facebook group.